At WMC, we work with schools, communities and families across the county through our Creative Learning Programme.
In light of the Covid-19 pandemic, we have been delivering engagement projects virtually, ensuring our participants continue to receive opportunities to experience music wherever they are. Highlights of this programme include:
More online projects will be announced soon!
Our year-round participatory projects are designed to develop, enrich and inspire.
A Year of Creative Learning at WMC
Youth Opportunities at WMC
- The West of England Youth Orchestra and Wiltshire Youth Jazz Orchestra delivered five outstanding concerts across the year alongside leading musicians including Tom Poster, Empirical Jazz and Peter Moore
- WMC hosted free masterclasses with outstanding professional artists including Raphael Wallfisch, Adriano Adewale and William Russell;
- WMC's Industry Day provided an insight into the world of a professional concert hall for young participants;
- Summer Fun 2019 engaged over 550 participants across a month of concerts, workshops and creative sessions.
Workshops in schools
- WMC and Prime Theatre premiered a new original production for primary school children, " Don't Pick Me, Miss!", which toured across schools in Wiltshire;
- The Marmen Quartet joined as our Young Quartet in Residence, delivering schools workshops as part of our Wider Opportunities programme;
- The Kakatsitsi Master Drummers delivered a thunderous series of percussion workshops for primary schools across Wiltshire
Adult Learning & Family Engagement Days
- Celebrating Age secured a £385,500 grant from the National Lottery Community Fund to continue delivery until 2025;
- WMC Chorus, our community all-abilities choir, performed Kurt Weill's The Silver Lake with the English Touring Opera at the Theatre Royal, Bath;
- My Science Fair 2020 engaged over 50 young scientists and their families, with over 900 people visiting WMC on the day;
- Big Family Music Day 2019 brought together participants of all ages, playing instruments in the BFMD orchestra for the first time.
- Zone Club, our group for young adults aged 16-25 with a range of physical and learning disabilities, performed an original song as a part of BBC Wiltshire's 'Carols at the Cathedral', broadcast on Christmas Day;
- Local special schools and mainstream primary schools joined forces with the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment for a unique performance of Henry Purcell's 'The Fairy Queen' in our Opera in a Week
Want to get involved?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more and take part