We work with schools, communities and families across the county through our Creative Learning Programme. Our year-round participatory projects are designed to develop, enrich and inspire.
In the past year:
- WMC hosted free masterclasses with outstanding professional artists including Joanna MacGregor, Aquarelle Guitar Quartet, Claire Martin, the Berkeley Ensemble & the Doric String Quartet;
- The West of England Youth Orchestra (WEYO) and the Wiltshire Youth Jazz Orchestra (WYJO) toured the South of France in August 2018;
- Fast Forward Festival 2018:
- Bringing together industry experts, practitioners, learning disabled young adults, youth workers and more to a participatory day
- Zone Club, our group for young adults aged 16-25 with a range of physical and learning disabilities, went on tour;
- WMC continued to develop our legacy of engagement with young learning disabled adults;
- Celebrating Age celebrated reaching over 4,000 engagements since 2017, offering arts, culture and heritage activities for older people in their own settings;
- The Marmen Quartet joined as our Young Quartet in Residence, delivering schools workshops as part of our Wider Opportunities programme;
- My Science Fair 2019 engaged over 40 young scientists and their families, with over 800 people visiting WMC on the day;
- Saturday Jazz and Sunday Folk sessions helped to develop progression routes into our Youth Orchestra;
- WMC Chorus performed Kurt Weill's The Silver Lake with the English Touring Opera at the Theatre Royal, Bath;
- Adriano Adewale delivered workshops in Wiltshire primary schools, leading to a collaborative performance with Gwilym Simcock and Jason Rebello as part of our Spring / Summer 19 Artistic Programme;
- Local special schools and mainstream primary schools joined forces with the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment for a unique performance of Henry Purcell's 'The Fairy Queen' in our Opera in a Week
- Big Family Music Day 2019 brought together participants of all ages, playing instruments in the BFMD orchestra for the first time;
- Our Industry Day provided an insight into the world of a professional concert hall.
- Summer Fun 2019 engaged over 550 participants across a month of concerts, workshops and creative sessions.
Exciting future projects include
- Five Youth Orchestra courses and eight concerts across the school year;
- WMC's exciting two-day Percussion Festival in October 2019;
- A newly co-commissioned work for primary schools across Wiltshire with Prime Theatre;
- Our new online digital learning portal for first access classes;
- Zone Club performing at external venues;
- My Science Fair and Big Family Music Day returning for 2020;
- Continuing schools work with Artist in Residence Adriano Adewale;
- Masterclasses with Raphael Wallfisch;
- Schools Workshops with the Kakatsitsi Master Drummers.